Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Leah's late nights

Leah has been waking up in the middle of the night a lot this past week or so and I can't really figure out the reason why.  She will just start screaming, not fussing, but screaming out.  I've been trying to figure out this mystery but I'm stuck.  She can't be cold since she sleeps in a fleece sleeper (which I would love to get for myself) plus like a million other blankets.  She's not too warm since we keep the house pretty cool at night (thus another reason for many blankets).  She can't be lonely since she has her pals Grover and Elmo with her, or at least not too far from her in her bed, plus she has a blanket for her face as well.  It can't be too quiet for her either since Leah sleeps with white noise on.
These are things that we have been doing since Leah started sleeping in her own room.
My youngest isn't teething either- no runny nose or fever.
I try to let her cry, but after about five or 10 minutes I can't take it - I feel bad, even though she knows how to go back to sleep on her own.  So I go into her room and calm her down - say some Alligator Pie and rub her tummy.  I use to pick her up but that would only turn my sweet Leah into a demon child so, I just lean over her crib rail and try to do the best I can.  That sometimes works.  Sometimes.  Some night or early mornings a diaper change is needed which if it's the full reason for the visits I'm not sure what I am going to do since diapers only go up to size six and Leah wears a size five at night.
Then there are some nights/early mornings when it seems like Leah just wants me to visit her.  She'll cry out to get me running only to greet me with a smile or giggle instead of tears - which would be nice if I wasn't coming from a dream with one of the guys from One Direction or my sit down chat with Oprah.
Once Leah has calmed down  either because of a visit by me or on the rare occasion on her own accord, I lie awake in my bed either waiting to fall back to sleep or for Leah to wake up again.  Some nights if she has fallen back to sleep on her own, I wonder if she is actually ok and so I will go and check on her only to find her fast asleep which calms me down, until I go to shut her door and it decides to shout out that it needs oil, which of course wakes Leah up and then we are back to the first verse of Alligator Pie and some tummy rubbing.

No comments:

Post a Comment